Saturday 22 September 2012

Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action Movie


I was lucky enough this month to see an English-subbed version of the recent live-action adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin, alternatively known as Samurai X in the U.S. It's based on one of the most popular anime series ever made and is very highly anticipated by anime geeks, and fans of Japanese cinema, all over the world (I use the term "geeks" endearingly, of course).

Going into the movie the first time, in which I watched the whole thing in Japanese with no subtitles, I had little idea of what Kenshin is about. The anime was definitely popular when I was in high school and a lot of my friends were obsessed with it, so I knew the basic premise but that was it. I'm not sure why I never watched it, except that maybe I was preoccupied with some other anime at the time, like Naruto or Bleach. Anyway, all I knew about the story was that Kenshin was a former assassin-turned-wanderer ("Rurouni" means "wanderer" in Japanese, but I didn't know that going into the movie either), and that the trailer for the film had looked really good. As my co-worker put it, I was pretty much going into the movie blind.

You might wonder how I could understand the movie without subtitles. Well, other than the major plot points and some bits and pieces of dialogue here and there, I really didn't. Since the film is set in 1878, some of the dialogue, particularly Kenshin's, uses very old, traditional, and uber-polite Japanese so I understood even less than I might have. However, the movie did a great job of telling the story visually, so I got the gist of what was going on, even if I didn't get the verbal quips that had the audience chuckling from time to time.

Visually, this movie is a masterpiece. Everything from the period costumes to the scenery, and even small details like Kenshin's hairstyle and sword, all fit together incredibly well. Kenshin does a great job of using light, and a lack of it, to differentiate between present scenes and flashbacks. You really get a sense of Kenshin's two selves based on images alone. If anything, people should watch the movie for a healthy dose of cinematography, done by a studio that knows how to best utilize the actors and scenery, rather than rely solely on special effects or camera movement, to evoke mood and emotion. (Fortunately, the adaptation was not made by Hollywood, which, let's face it, tends to blow adaptations of pretty much anything, though it is backed by Warner Bros.)  

It also doesn't hurt that the main characters are very attractive-looking people and well-suited for their roles, especially the actor who plays Kenshin, Takeru Sato (who also happens to be from Saitama, the area where I am currently living!). Traditional garb may not work well on everyone, but you'd never guess that from looking at Kenshin or the heroine, Kaoru.

In terms of acting, everyone plays their parts well. The villains are fairly one-dimensional, but that doesn't bother me too much since they tried to cover a lot of ground in a little over two hours. It's the main cast, however, that gives the film its grip. This was made all the more obvious during the first viewing when I couldn't understand a lot of what people were saying. Acting well is about so much more than merely delivering the dialogue, since voice inflection, facial expressions, and general body language all contribute to the character's look and feel as well.

I was particularly impressed with Takeru Sato because in both the series and the movie, Kenshin has to be both a ruthless assassin as well as a gentle and soft-spoken wanderer. The movie highlights both his past and his present in almost equal proportions, so it was important for the actor to get both sides of the character right. 

Needless to say, Sato does an amazingly believable job, from simple scenes to crucial ones. The one near the end where Kenshin momentarily resorts back to his "battosai" (assassin) persona is one of the most riveting scenes in the entire film. The expression on his face and the change in his voice - it's like seeing a completely different person, and all in the span of a few seconds. I find it really hard to believe that Sato is only 23 years old, because he embodies someone so much more mature and well-spoken on screen. (Not that 23-year-olds can't be mature or well-spoken, but Kenshin is supposed to be in his mid-30s at least, and I never would have guessed that Sato was under 30.)

My absolute favorite part of Kenshin, however, has to be the fight scenes. They 're probably the scenes that hardcore fans of the series most look forward to, especially since Kenshin is supposed to be the best assassin in Japan with unmatched sword skills. He can cut down a person with a sword like nobody's business and moves with an agility that seems un-human. 

The cool thing about the fight scenes in Kenshin is that there don't seem to be any special effects at play, other than the minimal use of wires on some of the actors. But even that is done in a way that has the action staying within realistic realms, without becoming too overwrought or cheesy. Not only is Sato a good actor (can you tell I like this guy?), but he moves like an athlete on screen. I'm pretty sure everyone in the audience was captivated by his agility and grace during those fight scenes.

Besides beautiful choreography, what truly brings the fight scenes to life is the awesome music. You can hear some of it in the trailer, and the soundtrack in the film fits the movie like a glove. It's just prominent enough to give each scene that extra boost, but unlike in DKR or in some other action movies, the music doesn't overtake the actors or remove the viewer from what's happening. I also loved that it sounds modern and traditional at the same time, which isn't what I was expecting going into a period film. And the song that plays during the credits is really captivating as well, so much so that I didn't even mind sitting through it to the very end (a Japanese custom in theaters).

Overall, I'm glad I got to see the movie twice, once in Japanese and once with English subtitles. It's one of those movies that you immediately want to watch again after the credits start rolling, and from what I've read and heard from other people, it's a pretty faithful adaptation of the beloved series. Kenshin combines multiple story-lines to make a captivating adaptation fit for fans and newbies alike. It's certainly strong enough to stand on its own as one of the best movies of the year. 

Highly recommended. It's too bad there isn't a release date for the U.S. yet.

Tip: If you currently live in Japan, you can watch Rurouni Kenshin with English subtitles at Toho Cinemas in Roppongi! 

4 comments:

  1. I actually just watched it with my friends. I am from Cagayan de Oro in the Philippines and glad it finally got shown here. I am so curious how Takeru got trained for the sword fight. It was so flawlessly executed I got to think if he was using a body double or what. It's certainly one d those films you'd love to see all over again. And yes, I agree with what you said - I am so glad Hollywood didn't do the adaptation itself lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge RK fan since I was child so I had high expectations for this movie, and guess what, it didn't disappoint me. I just had to watch it all over again for four times because it's simply awesome. The story, the effects, the fight scenes, the setting, the music---everything was neatly done. Probably the best live action adaptation of an anime out there. Takeru Sato perfectly nailed Kenshin's role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, the film is so good that movie goers were gladly clapping their hands after the movie! TAKERU SATO did an amazing job really, he is a great actor, I think he must have watched the anime before filming the movie...he is so amazing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this blog after rewatching RK for the third time. I'm a Filipina from Baguio City, and thought we belong to different races we all agree on one thing, That Rurouni Kenshin Adaptation was awesome! I love how the meticulously found actors who totally fit the roles. Takeru Sato was great as well as Koji Kikkawa (dude playing Jin-ei) I was really mesmerized with how he completely looks like Jin-ei in the Manga. I've been a fan of RK or Samurai X as we know it here in the Philippines and Takeru's assassin and wanderer mode was perfect even his tiny habits like looking innocent in the midst of a fight which is soo Kenshin like in the Manga.

    I'm really happy with how well and how close it was to the manga. Super glad it ain't a Hollywood touched up adaptation. Can't wait for the sequel of this movie.

    ReplyDelete